Electron Microscopist (Full time – Woburn, MA)
NanoImaging Services, Inc. (NIS) is an industry leader in providing structural analysis and characterization of biopharmaceuticals using transmission electron microscopy (negative stain TEM and cryoTEM) and advanced image processing. We are seeking an energetic, innovative, and detail-oriented individual to join our talented team in this exciting and rapidly expanding field of research at our new facility in Woburn, MA.
If hired, the candidate would be trained on site at NIS headquarters in San Diego, CA for approximately 6 months before returning to Boston.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Preparation of samples for imaging in an electron microscope
- Troubleshooting and optimization of problematic samples for EM
- Receiving and intaking client samples
- Collecting data on an electron microscope using a highly automated data acquisition pipeline
- Evaluation of data/digital electron micrographs as they are collected to ensure high quality and that client specifications are met
- Analyzing and solving problems with the microscopes efficiently and quickly to ensure minimal down time
- Close collaboration with other team members to ensure that projects are completed within demanding deadlines and to the highest quality possible
- Maintain accurate records and data entry of experiments, projects, and other sample related information.
- Organization, monitoring and maintenance of lab spaces and equipment, including client samples, general lab supplies, and microscopy specific lab supplies
- Occasional remote monitoring of data collection during off hours
A successful candidate must have the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Bioengineering or a related area in life sciences
- At least one year of lab experience
- An interest in imaging and structural characterization of biological nanoparticles
- Be comfortable handling technically advanced and sensitive equipment
- Be comfortable carrying out complicated assignments and working with delicate materials
- Basic computer skills and willingness to learn new operating systems and advanced software
- Willingness and ability to learn quickly and adapt to changes
- Be self-motivated and have excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Be able to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Be able to follow verbal and written instructions with careful attention to detail
The following qualifications would be considered a plus:
- Previous experience in investigating biological specimens, particularly small particle analysis
- Previous experience in operating highly technical scientific instruments, such as advanced microscopes
- Previous experience in the preparation of negatively stained and/or vitrified specimen grids for TEM
- Experience in transmission electron microscopy or light microscopy
- Experience with FEI Tecnai, Glacios, or Titan Krios electron microscopes
NIS is a growing company that offers the opportunity to become a part of a close-knit team where you can advance and develop professionally. Interested individuals should send a resume and a cover letter containing information on their education, employment history, a minimum of three references, and any other relevant achievements related to the above skills to: email@example.com. The email and/or cover letter must reference job ID: Electron Microscopist-Boston.
US Work Authorization is required.